Wednesday, May 18, 2011

17 is my favorite number!

Every year I reach a point where I feel fed up with myself. I feel fed up with my weight, with my health, with my exercising abilities, and I just get so sick of my jeans being too tight. I was on the look out for good ideas or programs that I could try to help me kick start some weight loss while remaining healthy.
I considered doing Weight Watchers again, as it had worked pretty well for me in the past- however it costs about $20 every month, which as a looking-for-employment-broke-college-kid I cannot afford. I recently saw my Aunt Sarah over my first week of summer break, and noticed that she looked particularly thin and healthy! I asked her how she managed to lose weight so well- and keep it off. This is when i heard of the 17 Day Diet. She explained a little of what it was but I was sold on the fact that she lost 15lbs in the first 17 days! I was thinking if I could lose 15lbs in roughly 2 weeks I would feel so much better about myself- and would be way more inspired to continue eating healthy and losing weight.
I ordered the book off amazon for $12 used and it certainly is like new. I read through the first 3 or 4 chapters yesterday and got a good grasp of how it works. His idea is 'anyone can do something for 17 days'.

Yes the diet is called the 17 day diet- however it isn't exactly only 17 days. It is completed in a total of 68 days- just over two months. The diet however is done in four 17 day cycles, and as far as I understand once you reach your goal weight you can skip right to step 4 maintenance. So if you don't have much to lose you may only need 2 of the cycles. I predict I will need all four.
The cycles are:
1. accelerate
2. activate
3. achieve
4. arrive

Each cycle is different and you can eat a different list of foods, to help you not get bored with the diet.

Today I am beginning cycle 1- accelerate. Accelerate is the "rapid weight loss portion which helps flush sugar and fat storage from your system."

Here is what I can eat each day:
Lean Proteins: unlimited
includes: Salmon, Sole, Flounder, Catfish, Tilapia, Canned light tuna, Chicken Breast, Turkey Breast, Ground Lean Turkey, Eggs( 2 Eggs= 1 serving) or Egg Whites (4 Egg Whites= 1 serving). 
Cleansing Veggies: unlimited
includes: Artichoke(hearts and leaves), Broccoli, Asparagus, Brussels Sprouts, Bell Peppers(all colors), Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Lettuce, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Mushrooms, Okra, Garlic, Onions, Green Beans, Parsley, Green Leafy Veggies, Scallions, Spinach, Tomatoes, Kale, Leeks, Watercress. 
Probiotic Foods: 2 servings
includes: Yogurt (greek, plain, sugar-free fruit flavored, and low fat), Kefir, Low-fat acidophilus milk, Yakult, Breakstone LiveActive Cottage Cheese, Reduced salt miso dissolved in low fat, low sodium broth, Tempeh, Sauerkraut, Kimchi.  
Low-Sugar Fruit: 2 servings
includes: Apples, Berries, Grapefruit, Oranges, Peaches, Pears, Plums, Prickly Pear Cactus, Prunes, Red Grapes. 
Friendly Fats: 2 servings
includes: Olive Oil and Flaxseed Oil.
Condiments: in moderation
includes: Salsa, low-carb marinara sauce, lite soy sauce, low-carb ketchup, fat-free sour cream, low-fat low soduim broth, Truvia (sugar sub.), sugar-free jam and jellies, vegetable cooking spray, fat-free cheeses(Parmesan), fat-free salad dressing, salt, pepper, vinegar, mustard, herbs and spices. 
Water: 8 servings a day (8oz)
does not include: teas, or coffees although they contain water. Green tea is the recommended beverage aside from water. 


It's true after looking at the list I have a lot of options for foods and there are several I need to research to figure out what they are or how you cook it. :) looks like a 17 day adventure to me.

The book also recommends at least two sessions of 17 minute workouts each day. They sell a DVD workout plan too, but in order to save money I am taking his suggestion of brisk walking, jogging, or running, and other cardio. 

If you are considering doing this diet I highly recommend buying the book used. It is cheap- and really jam packed with helpful dieting tips, sample menus options, recipes, and tons of really good health information presented in a way that "normal people" can comprehend.

Personal Info:
So I am just going to suck it up and tell the whole online world my personal information.
Height: 5'5"
Weight: 177 (I have a horribly inaccurate scale but it's the best I can do)
Bust: 41 1/2 in
Waist: 34 1/2 in
Hips: 44 in

Long Term Goal Weight: 130 (the book recommends 125 for my height- but I think 130 would be a good milestone!)

This means overall I have 47lbs to lose. 17 Day Diet here I come- I am expecting results!(obviously not 47lbs in 17 days though)
I will take a Before picture, and then every 17 days I will take a progress picture. Hopefully at the end I will look like a new person!

(Hopefully I will be able to post about my day everyday- or at least every other day... Stay tuned for thin Danielle!)

No comments:

Post a Comment